4/2/15

FEMINISM





 greetings!!


 today I would like to talk to you about feminism.

Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

First of all, I hate how feminism is often misinterpreted for misandry/ man-hating,

and I think it is because most modern feminists nowadays just bully men and anti-feminists, 

modern day feminism has strayed so far from the original intent of feminism, 

because all they want is to Free The Nipple**and that isn't right at all.

This results in people thinking it is a useless, mundane, and bad cause, and making groups like Women Against Feminism.

I want to change that, because as far as I know, men and we people should all help each other and coexist.






One feminist I look up to is Lorde.

"A lot of girls think [feminism] is not shaving under their arms and burning bras and hating boys, which just seems stone age to me," she once said, which is sadly accurate.

Women have a lot of unsolved issues and we shouldn't just focus on that**

For example, according to an online survey by http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/,

over 87 percent of women said they were the target of a sexist comment, and about 45 percent said they've been a target of a sexist comment in public at least 25 times in their life & nearly 81 percent of female respondents were the target of sexually explicit comments from an unknown man at least once. More than 41 percent have been the target at least 26 times in their lives.


Can you believe that?

I knew this kid once, and while we were sitting next to each other he pointed at a woman breastfeeding in public.

and told me "Hey look at her!" and I said "What's wrong?" and he just laughed- I was really disappointed. 

I also knew someone who misinterpreted feminism, posted it on Facebook & had a large amount of likes.


That was the day I asked my mum "What is feminism?" she told me what it was and I did my research.




Kate Nash, my favorite singer-songwriter & founder of Girl Gang TV said:

"Feminism is not a dirty word. It does not mean you hate men, it does not mean you hate girls that have nice legs and a tan, and it does not mean you are a ‘bitch’ or ‘dyke’, it means you believe in equality.”




“I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.” - Emma Watson

Emma Watson invited men to join the fight for gender equality in an empowering speech last September, launching the HeForShe campaign. 

As the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, she spoke about how impossible it is to achieve equality of the sexes if only one sex participates in the fight. (take part in the HeForShe campaign: http://www.heforshe.org/)




there are so many feminist icons that i admire and love like: ms. lea salonga, lily allen, beyonce, claire boucher, ariana grande, halsey, marina diamandis, miley cyrus, amandla stenberg, zendaya, charli xcx, nicki minaj, melanie martinez and so much more.

As a very avid user of the internet, I see thousands of posts everyday, and it's a shame that I see a lot of sexism, gender stereotyping and misogyny in social media, (like, it's the 21st century, why is "fighting like a girl" still an insult???)  that is just one of the many reasons we all need feminism.

We must stop sexism, stereotyping, rape culture, victim blaming, misogyny, misandry, body shaming, and much more.
I believe that we all should have equal rights.

Gender equality is not a women's issue, it's a human rights issue.


xoxo,
Ataschameleon~


No comments:

Post a Comment